Your Personal Manifesto – Year 2013 Edition
Living life with a purpose — is something that I do believe everyone should strive to do. And I don’t just mean the whole my purpose in this life is to rescue every kitty cat stuck in a tree (though that is great too) — I mean living purposefully in yourself. So instead of making New Year’s Resolutions — its time to condense that Year End Review: 2012 set of lists and condense them into your Personal Manifesto for 2013! One of my favorite my favorite articles on this topic can be found over at Daring to Live Fully — its directions go a little something like this:
A personal manifesto is a declaration of your core values and beliefs, what you stand for, and how you intend to live your life. It functions both as a statement of principles and as a call to action. A personal manifesto can serve as all of the following:
- As a frame for your life.
- As a compass, pointing you toward what you’ve decided is your true north.
- As a mechanism for focusing your mind and reminding you of your priorities.
- As a source of motivation.
- As a behavior modification system, so that you always act in accordance with your values, even during times of stress.
- As a mechanism to keep you striving to achieve high ideals.
- As inspiration to live your purpose more fully.
- As a foundation upon which to build your life.
- As a way to begin to bring a new life—or a new way of living—into existence.
and like this:
Here are five general guidelines for writing your manifesto:
- Make it uplifting.
- Use strong language (don’t be wishy-washy).
- It can be as short or as long as you like (but don’t make it so long that you can’t read it every day).
- Write it in the present tense.
- Keep it positive.
So my charge to you is to go write yours for 2013 – use some of the work/insight you’ve already gained in reflection and shape this into your personal manifesto. Whatever doesn’t fit smoothly right into it — turn it into a goal — that’s in line with the overall theme. Either way, get started….right now! 2013 is just around the corner!